GARDEN SUITE REQUIREMENTS
· Project Name
· Project Description
· Address on Right Side
· Project 3D
· Table of contents
· North Arrow
· Property Line with Dimensions
· Street Name
· Show Adjacent House
· Show Garage (if house have)
· 1 Parking (1 for Main Unit 2 bicycle spaces for Garden Suite) (17’8.5 x 8’6.5)
· Principal Unit Entrance
· Garden Unit Entrance
· Egress Window locations with setback from windows
· Garden Pathway from parking to entrance (1.2 M WIDE)
· A maximum 45-metre travel distance measured from a public street to the entrance of the garden suite
· A minimum width of 1.0 metre, and a 2.1 metre vertical clearance from the fronting public street. The 1.0 metre minimum width must be unobstructed with the exception of hydro and gas meters.
· Garden suites should not result in the removal of healthy by-law protected trees
· The maximum footprint (area the building covers) of a garden suite is the smaller of 40% of the rear yard area, and 60 square metres.
· The total area of a lot that all ancillary buildings and structures may cover, including a garden suite and any other sheds or garages, cannot exceed 20% of the lot area.
· Side Yard:
· The minimum required side yard setback for a garden suite is generally the greater of 0.6 metres and 10% of the lot frontage, to a maximum of 3.0 metres.
· Where openings such as windows or doors are proposed, the minimum side yard setback is the greater of 1.5 metres and the amount that is 10% of the lot frontage.
· On a corner lot, the minimum side yard setback is generally the greater of 1.5 metres and the minimum required side yard setback for the main residential building on the lot.
· If a garden suite on a corner lot includes a vehicle parking space, and the vehicle access is from the street abutting the side lot line, then the required minimum rear yard setback is 6.0 metres.
· For an existing garage or shed (lawfully existing ancillary buildings), the minimum side yard setback is the existing setback of that building.
· Rear Yard:
· The minimum rear yard setback for a garden suite is generally 1.5 metres.
· On lots deeper than 45 metres, the minimum rear yard setback is the greater of half the height of the garden suite and 1.5 metres.
· On through lots, where the rear property line abuts a street, the minimum rear yard setback is the required front yard setback of any adjacent houses that face the rear street.
· If there are no adjacent houses, and the garden suite does not include a vehicle parking space, the minimum setback is 1.5 metres.
· If a garden suite on a through lot includes a vehicle parking space, and the vehicle access is from the street abutting the rear lot line, then the required minimum rear yard setback is the greater of 6.0 metres and the required minimum front yard setback for a residential building on the adjacent lot that fronts on the same street that the rear lot line abuts.
· For an existing garage or shed (i.e. lawfully existing ancillary buildings), the minimum rear yard setback is the existing setback of that building.
Garden Suite Floor Plan:
· The interior floor area of a garden suite must be less than the gross floor area of the
· main residential building on the lot. The interior floor area of a garden suite includes the area of all floors of a garden suite.
· A garden suite may be built up to a maximum height of 4.0 metres where the garden
suite is located a minimum of 5.0 metres from the main residential building on the lot
If a garden suite is at least 7.5 metres from the main residential building on the lot, the
garden suite may be bult up to a maximum of 6.0 metres. However, this is subject to
additional angular plane rules.
· Levels with Dimensions
· Basement outlines under earth
· Mention Door Details
· Show Existing and new Windows
· Show Hatches on Walls
· Calculate 7% of Opening Allow in Single wall
· Add light and note “EMERGENCY LIGHTING TO BE PROVIDED AS PER O.B.C. 9.9.12(C140) AT EXIT SHARED BY MORE THAN ONE DWELLING UNIT”
Learn more about our past basement renovation projects here
We love our customers, so feel free to visit during normal business hours.
L3T 7X9, Thornhill, Ontario, Canada
09:00 a.m. – 05:00 p.m.